Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sushi and September

I can remember the first time I had sushi. It was at some cheap chinese food buffet in a town right next to mine. I was in eighth grade and had nothing near the palate I have now. My meal of choice was probably chicken fingers. Naturally, I was pretty squeamish at the thought of raw fish wrapped in seaweed, but I decided to give it a shot because it was slowly becoming the new phase. After eating the food I can remember instantly regretting it, and so began my dislike for sushi.

Lets rewind from this moment and go about 8 years prior. It was September and there I was, going back to school. From that moment, I'd associate September to this "back to school" feeling of helplessness and finality. My summer was over, and there I was, going back to this 8 hour day spent in a classroom. Much like sushi, September usually always struck a bad note with me.

College was where this all changed, though. No longer was I dreading the arrival of the fall. In fact, Fall became my favorite season and September? One of my favorite months. College was like my summer and summer, more like my winter. Although the sun went away (a few impromptu trips to Florida can incorporate the sun into anyone's fall/winter :)) I was with my friends, actually learning subjects that interested me, and being independent. Furthermore, I -LOVED- sushi!

How does someone take a complete 180 like that? I guess my appetite/appreciation for fine foods matured just like my desire to advance myself. Summer wasn't the "cool thing" anymore. Now, don't get me wrong, I still like summer just as much as the next guy; there's something to be said for staying in bed til 1pm, watching endless episodes of your favorite TV shows, swimming and playing video games all day, rinse and repeat... but that gets old.. quick.. well, not really QUICK but, after about 4 months or so.

August came along and I was still in my house, hanging with friends, playing video games, and the like. When suddenly I found myself staring at my calendar, counting down the days until September because I knew it was going to be different. I knew that I wouldn't let myself sit idly by during the month in which I'm used to working the hardest nor would I let myself be disheartened by anything that happens in my life in a month that has been dreaded by me at one point, and loved at another. I know both feelings, and I would much prefer the latter, and that's what its going to be.

And so I've decided that this September will resemble the Septembers of my recent past, filled with learning and experience and eagerness to get the most out of it and to be able to have fun doing it. Of course, knowing that I'm going to be spending two of my weekends this month at the beach, and 2 of the nights at the end of the month seeing U2 in concert really helps my outlook :) But I also know that things like that are necessary in a month and time with such uncertainty. I have things that I know will make my month better and it's up to me to make the other 23 days this month as great.

In other news, Jingle All The Way, one of my all-time favorite movies was on TBS a few days ago. I love that movie and to see it on in August had to have been a sign that I will get the TurboMan soon, I just need to persist. (In this example, the "TurboMan" is actually a full-time job)

Anyway, how do you feel about September? Is there anything in your life that, at one time or another, you dreaded? But now, you can't live without it?

3 comments:

  1. Ah, September. The month of all months, and by that I mean I hate it. Mostly because of school buses affecting my daily commute to Starbucks.

    I can surely relate to the whole not doing anything gets old fast idea. People say they'd love to be in my position, in your position, but honestly, how many days of the week do I wish I were at work instead of watching Soap Operas?

    I guess its the whole 'the Grass is Greener' idea in some sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally love September because it means Fall and cooler temperatures. But this year it is different because it just means that it is my 9th month unemployed! Which really sucks! But then again...it could be the month that everything change...let's hope for that!

    Katie re-tweeted your blog so I thought I would follow =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the follow, Mary-Kate!

    Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I can sympathize with your situation, the search for full-time employment in this economy is disheartening. Hopefully soon the search will be a bit easier, but it doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.

    But, this month has been wonderful to me so far. I've had a lot of opportunities presented to me, exponentially more than those presented me in months previous, so it just goes to show what a little perseverance can do!

    Good luck with the month and hopefully some good things come out of your month as well!

    ReplyDelete