Thursday, November 19, 2009

Best Buy? I think you should rethink that adjective.

Work? Check. Long-past-due blog? Finally, check.

Okay, well I've been incredibly busy lately, busy enough to put my blog and various other projects on hold (my website, collections, etc.. the things I've been doing to pass time while only having one part time job).

Now that I'm starting to manage my time more effectively, I'm putting enough hours into my job daily and still finding time to go to the gym and now I have free time again! So, without further ado- my latest rambling...

A few weeks ago, I decided to go into Best Buy to pick up a video game. Video games are universally the same price, most of the time. So, I normally go to Best Buy so I can get loyalty points (to get more money to spend at Best Buy... and so the cycle continues.) But, after this visit, I've begun to re-think my loyalties.

For every $250 I spend at Best Buy, I get $5. It may not seem like a lot, but when I'm buying a new movie or something, it's a pretty significant discount. Not to mention at Christmastime where my parents use my card because they don't have one. So, at this time of the year- I'm raking in the points. This is the main reason I'm a loyal Best Buy customer.

I'm not a loyal Best Buy customer because of their knowledgeable staff (more annoying than knowledgeable, they ambush you asking you if you need help, I'm a fan of enthusiastic employees but this feels more forced than enthusiastic.) I'm not a loyal Best Buy customer because I love the experience behind their brand. I'm not a loyal Best Buy customer because they run the best sales (honestly, Target has cheaper DVDs most of the time, BB just has a better selection). And I'm not a Best Buy customer because of their friendly and helpful cashiers....

Wait, friendly and helpful? Scratch that. I can't remember the last time a cashier at Best Buy made me smile, let alone smiled at me! In fact, the instance that drove me to write this blog happened a few weeks ago (I mentioned it above but then went off on a tangent.. I do that sometimes)...

I was in Best Buy to pick up a video game, I go to the section, grab the game, and head to the cashier line. I'm in line waiting- behind no one. I wait until I am called- I try to be courteous in this case, I don't know if the cashier is finished with her last transaction or whether or not she is ready- so I usually just hang right before the register, close enough for them to see me, but far enough away to not be intrusive. I notice that the lady who is about to ring me up is texting.

This is a middle-aged lady, not some 15 year old girl who is glued to her cell phone. I kind of wanted to clear my throat, but I went through a bunch of scenarios in my head that could be reasons why I shouldn't be rude- finally I narrowed it down to maybe her kid needed her for something. I didn't want to be rude if it was something important for her child- so I just stood there and waited.

She finished texting, finally looks up (finally looks up-- a sign you're NOT doing your job), and acknowledges me. She takes my item, scans it and then asks if that's everything. Before I can utter a word, her phone vibrates and she picks it up- SHE PICKS IT UP IN THE MIDDLE OF MY TRANSACTION... Okay, now that's just saying 'Customer, you're unimportant. Please pay for your item and leave. I have no time for you.' This cashier started having a conversation consisting of topics completely unimportant and completely unnecessary to be talking about when on your employer's dime.

Did I mention that this woman finished the whole transaction while holding her phone up to her ear with her shoulder? A sad skill no cashier should ever be proficient at.

Oh- and when she was finished? Didn't even look at me. Didn't say a word... Nothing. She continued her super-important conversation.

When your job is to work the front lines and be the face of your company to its customers- NOBODY. IS. MORE. IMPORTANT. THAN. THE. PERSON. STANDING. IN. FRONT. OF. YOU. Nobody. If the Pope walked into Best Buy to pick up the new Black Eyed Peas CD and you're ringing someone up, someone else will have to help His Holiness. Your attention should be solely on the person in front of you, not another customer, not your boss, not your co-worker, not your buddy on the other end of the phone. NOBODY. See where I'm going?

I grabbed my bag and left.

This was not the first case of employee indifference, but it was the most significant.

I have since been back to Best Buy, but the amount of times I've been there has been significantly less. I've determined that I would rather pay the same amount somewhere else and not be forced to continuously shop there unless they are having a sale.

So, the message here, Best Buy, if you're going to call yourself "Best Buy" without being the cheapest or the friendliest retailer, what exactly is it that you're "Best" at?

I'm a big advocate of banning texting for frontline employees when in public view- on break or behind closed doors- text the night away- but when your attention should solely be on the customer, put your damn phone away.

1 comment:

  1. That is just way too much. Never have I (maybe i have short term memory and couldn't recall any) encountered something like this. You are definitely too kind to not make any complain about her to the manager. It is a big NO for frontline employees to be texting.

    ReplyDelete